I will admit, it’s been a while since I’ve had the time to delve into my own thoughts about anything all that deep or profound. And perhaps that misfortune has to do with the form my life has assumed over the past couple months; not that that’s a bad thing..
And forgive me for the cliché, but I’ve been busy.
In the least, I am momentarily back–and despite the high level of irrelevance to someone my age, in my position –I couldn’t help but wonder: how does someone know whether or not they want kids?
Okay, so maybe not entirely irrelevant....
But think about it: how many parents do you come across that will spend forever and a day going on about the downside to having children? Hearsay aside, how can you know whether or not you want something without knowing what the ‘job’ (if you will) actually entails? Does one’s desire to enter parenthood depend strictly on the perfect balance of one’s age, marital status and career success? Or perhaps it's societal pressure that somehow convinces you that being a parent is what you want; maybe familial pressure will even go so far to assume that successive generations will follow in the footsteps of tradition...
Or, at the end of the day, is choosing to have children something we all blindly submit to in order to merely avoid the potential regret you may, eventually, feel, had you chose not to when you, once-upon-a-time, could have?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment